Applying for Financial Aid
Step 1 – Complete your FAFSA
- The FAFSA is your first step: The FAFSA is your application for grants (free money), work study (money you earn), and loans (money you pay back).
- Get your FSA ID:Students and parents will need an FSA ID username and password combination that will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically.
- Need to Transfer your FAFSA to UNM? Add our School Code (002663)
- Important Dates:
- Dec 31, 2023- The 2024-2025 FAFSA becomes available
- Mar 1, 2024 – FAFSA completion priority date
- April 2024 – Awards published for coming school year
- June 1, 2024 – Scholarship Acceptance Deadline
- Missed dates – A FAFSA can be submitted throughout the year anytime up to June 30th of the present academic year. Likewise, you can submit the documentation to complete your file at any time throughout the year. Even if you miss the FAFSA priority date you should still submit a FAFSA. Scholarship deadlines are generally non-negotiable and must be met.
- Non-Citizens: Undocumented students may still be eligible for financial aid at UNM, please complete the UNM Application for State Aid Application and not the online FAFSA.
- Watch the Five-Minute FAFSA Video for a quick introduction to the FAFSA.
- Getting Started Undergraduate, Freshmen Guide and Basic Freshmen Info
- Financial Aid Transfer Guide and Transfer Financial Aid Checklist
- Tips for completing a FAFSA and FAFSA eligibility
* UNM's FAFSA priority date is June 1. Students who complete the FAFSA by the FAFSA priority date and have a complete Financial Aid file by the Additional Documentation Submission date are considered first for certain types of limited funding.
Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA on the web as soon after *October 1 each year as possible. In order to be considered for financial aid, students must complete the FAFSA every year.
*Note: The 2024-25 FAFSA release is delayed and won't be available for completion until Dec 31, 2023.