Timeline for FAFSA
- Get an FSAID
- Student: An FSA ID is your account username and password. You need it to sign the FAFSA form online. If you don’t have an FSA ID, you can create an FSA ID online to complete federal student aid tasks. It takes about 10 minutes to create an FSA ID.
- Parent: If you are the parent, you need to create your own FSA ID to sign your child’s FAFSA form online. Create an FSA ID . As a parent, you’ll be able to use your FSA ID right away.
- Start the FAFSA form at studentaid.gov
- If you are the student, select “I am a student and want to access the FAFSA form.” Then, log in using your FSA ID.
- If you are the parent, select “I am a parent filling out a FAFSA form for a student.” After selecting the parent role, you will need to provide your child’s name, their date of birth, and their Social Security number.
- Choose which FAFSA form you’d like to complete:
- 2022–23 FAFSA form if you will be attending college between July 1, 2022, and June 30, 2023.
- 2023–24 FAFSA form if you will be attending college between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024.
- Both: If you will be attending college during both time periods and haven’t completed your 2022–23 FAFSA form yet, complete it first, wait one to three days until the form processes, and then go back and complete the 2023–24 FAFSA form.
- Fill out the FAFSA
- Add student demographic information, if you’ve logged in before or completed a FAFSA before some of your information will auto populate
- Add UNM’s school code 002663
- Answer the dependency questions: you’ll need to respond to a series of specific questions that determine whether you need to provide parent information on the FAFSA form.
- Complete parent section, if dependent
- Your parent(s) will need to provide basic demographic information. Remember, it doesn’t matter if you don’t live with your parent(s); you still must report information about them if you are a dependent student. Which parent do I use for my FAFSA?
- Unable to provide parent information, you can indicate this on the FAFSA form and follow-up with our office if you have a special circumstance
- Add Financial information
- For 2023-2024 FAFSA year you will use 2021 taxes.
- The IRS DRT allows you to import your IRS tax information into the FAFSA form with just a few clicks
- Sign and submit your FAFSA form
- Use your FSA ID and password to sign the FAFSA, parents will also use their FSA ID to sign
- Alternative ways to sign your FAFSA if you do not want to use an FSA ID
- Log in to your current FAFSA, or start a new FAFSA.
- In the finances section of the FAFSA, you will see a "Link to IRS" button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
- Click the "Link to IRS" button and log in with the IRS to retrieve your tax return information.
- Review your tax return information, and see the tax data that will be transferred into your FAFSA.
- Check the "Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA" box, and click the "Transfer Now" button.
- Review your federal tax return information that has been transferred into the data fields on your FAFSA.
1. Submit UNM Application for State Aid (formerly paper FAFSA) process for non-citizens
2. Answer "Yes" to Work Study if interested
Complete your File
3. Submit all unsatisfied requirements to UNM by February 1 to be eligible for priority funding
4. Incomplete files will not be awarded
5. Review State Financial Aid award(s)
6. If offered Work Study, you will need to accept the award to use it
7. The Lottery Scholarship does not require a FAFSA, if you are deemed eligible you will be awarded automatically
Review your SAR (Student Aid Report), which the federal government sends you a link to access within a week of completing your FAFSA. Correct any errors online. The federal government will forward any changes you make to the University. Parents of dependent students will need to re-sign if any of their information was changed.
Instructions for Correcting Your FAFSA:
- The easiest way to update tax information is to log onto the FAFSA website and make a correction using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, which is explained above.
- If making corrections to other sections of the FAFSA, please go directly to that section.
- Go to the financial section for parents and/or students.
- Select the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to link with the IRS website.
- You will have to provide identifying criteria.
- This tool will automatically input all pertinent data into the FAFSA, eliminating errors related to income.
- You will have to update your wage information manually as that is not part of the retrieval tool.
FAFSA Workshops and Helpful Hints and Links
- UNM’s Priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is January 5, submitting after this date can exclude you from certain types of priority aid. You must also submit any required additional documentation by February 1 in order to be considered for priority aid.
- If your taxes have not been completed by the time you file your FAFSA, estimate the figures for your FAFSA or use last year’s tax return to complete the FAFSA.
- Do not include decimals in the information you provide. If your wages are $45,503.56, enter $45,504.It is important that your name is entered exactly as it appears on your Social Security card. If information is not correct, it could create a delay in getting your financial aid.
Step-by-Step Guide Applying for Financial Aid at UNM
View and/or Modify your Awards on Loboweb
Financial Aid Disbursement Information (Refunds)