FAFSA Now Available
FAFSA HowTo Video
Steps to File
- Request a federal FSA ID, which is your signature. Students and parents will both need a federal FSA ID.
- Visit the FAFSA Website to enter your information. Remember to enter the University of New Mexico’s school code: 002663
- Use income records for the tax year prior to the academic year for which you are applying. For the 2020-21 FAFSA year you will use 2018 taxes.
- IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT): Students and parents will be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) when completing the FAFSA. Tax information will auto-fill into your FAFSA and this will result in fewer errors and faster processing.
- January 3, FAFSA priority date for 2020-2021: Students should have their FAFSA’s complete by January 3, 2020 and submit any requested Additional Documentation by January 31, 2020 to remain eligible for limited priority funding that is awarded on a first-come first-serve basis.
- February, Award Notification: Award Notification will begin in late February, although some awards may be estimated until the legislature finalizes funding amounts for the 2020/2021 award year (usually by late June).
- May 1, UNM Scholarship Deadline
Process for Non-Citizens
Complete the State Aid Application
1. Submit to UNM Financial Aid by January 3
2. Answer "Yes" to Work Study if interested
Complete your File
3. Submit all unsatisfied requirements to UNM by January 31 to be eligible for priority funding
4. Incomplete files will not be awarded
5. Review State Financial Aid award(s)
6. If offered Work Study, you will need to accept the award to use it
7. The Lottery Scholarship does not require a FAFSA, if you are deemed eligible you will be awarded automatically